Ezra – The latest sensation of Malayalam Industry.
Ezra is the latest Malayalam thriller-horror flick which is directed by debutant Jay K. Prithviraj and Priya Anand plays the lead roles. The movie has released on 10th February and took a flying start at the Box-office.
India Wide gross (First Week) = 15.02 Cr INR
This is the second biggest grosser after the Mohan Lal’s blockbuster Puli Murugan which has grossed 25.5 Cr INR in the first week.
Average Critic’s Rating: – 3.0/5.0
Consensus: – A Decent thriller in recent times.
- Prithviraj stands out for his conviction and manages to pull off an exorcism without going too over the top or being too cliched.
- The film is technically sound. Detailing in the film’s sound design is impressive since it is powered by Dolby Atmos.
- The other leading light of Ezra is its production design which is top notch with the intimidatingly grand interiors. A sizeable part of the tale in the second half is set in the 1940s and it’s impressive to see that the period appears quite authentic, kudos to the production design as well as the VFX work.
- Editor Vivek Harshan and cinematographer Sujith Vaassudev are able partners in this mission.
- The pace of the film does dip a bit in between and it does not have any jump scary moments as such. And the culmination to the tale is a bit of let-down.
On the whole, Ezra is certainly a refreshing horror film and one that should ideally encourage more such efforts. It doesn’t give you any superficial experience and it conjures up enough novelty value to remain interesting throughout. So, give it a shot this weekend.